Palace Noordeinde in Pictures
In 1951, Queen Juliana generously offered part of the royal Paleis Noordeinde to house NUFFIC and the newly formed Institute of Social Studies. At the outset, ISS was very much a pioneering venture, finding its way in development studies and the pedagogic needs of its subject matter. While originally conceived as a teaching Institute, already by 1954 it became apparent that it should also be research-based, making teaching and research two complementary outputs. The first batch of twenty students (most from South and East Asia) attended a two year MA programme, while shorter courses were soon introduced as Post-Graduate Diploma Programmes.
The Palace building was ideally suited for the Institute and the ISS community in the early years. A residential college, students with common interests lived and worked together, with social get-togethers every evening and the Rector and his wife living on the premises.
Click on the images to see a larger version