Dreilinden scholarship for LGBTI activists
The German NGO Dreilinden gGmbH has granted the International Institute of Social Studies of Erasmus University (ISS) a scholarship for capacity building in the area of decent work, social inclusion and sexuality discourses for lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans- and intersexual (LGBTI) persons.
Dreilinden provides a scholarship for MA students from the Global South and East. The selected applicants will participate in the 2020-2021 ISS MA Programme in Development Studies, major Social Policy for Development (SPD).
Eligible applicants are nationals of a developing or transition country and have a documented background in work for human/labour rights for LGBTI persons and/or social movements for sexual diversity. We invite applications on the following three topics:
- How are inequalities based on sexuality (re)produced in school, the labour market, and the institutions (laws, social norms) that govern these spheres of life?
- How do ‘western’ identity categories (LGBT) relate to the actual experiences and identities of people in different parts of the world, including migrants, in relation to sexuality, and what (problematic) effects do they have in terms of who is included and excluded, what are the conditions of inclusion (and who has the power to define those).
- How is sexual diversity understood (or not) in development policy and how does that change local discourses on sexuality or does it influence social movements around sexual diversity?
The scholarship covers all study-related expenditures, including the fee, travel, lodging, and meals, for the whole 15.5 month study period (September 2020 – December 2021).
How to apply
Send in your application for the Dreilinden Fellowship to Dr Karin Astrid Siegmann (see contact details below). Your application should consist of the following three elements:
- motivation letter, engaging with one or more of the three topics mentioned above
- your CV
- the admission letter for the 2020-2021 MA programme (SPD) from the ISS
Please ensure that you provide evidence of your own LGBTI activism, because that is a requirement of the scholarship
The application deadline for the Dreilinden-ISS Scholarship with a complete application for the SPD major is on April 01, 2020.