Apply to ISS - MA
Application for the 2017-2018 MA programme in Development Studies and the MA Track in Migration and Development now open.
New enrolment procedure
You can now register for the Master of Arts in Development Studies and the MA Track in Migration and Development starting in September 2017. You start in Studielink (the Dutch national registration system). Then you finalize your application in the Admission Portal of Erasmus University Rotterdam (EUR). For frequently asked questions, please visit the FAQ page.
Once your application is complete, the programme’s admission board will assess your request for admission. It will take approximately four weeks to process your application. You will be informed about the outcome by email. If you are admitted, you can subsequently finalize your registration.
The application process consists of several steps which require you to add either information or supporting documents. All documents can be uploaded directly from your computer. Make sure that multiple page documents are submitted as one file. Save your application regularly during the process.
In order to complete your online application you must complete all steps in Studielink AND the EUR Admission Portal. We will only start processing your application and inform you further after you have submitted your application in the EUR Admission Portal (by clicking on the 'submit' button on the last page of the questionnaire).
If you still have questions after checking these pages, you may find the answer in our FAQ section.
STEP 1: Register with Studielink (the Dutch national registration system)
Start your application request in Studielink. The first time click <Apply for username and password> (See image below). You will have to provide personal data and some basic information about your academic background.
When filling in the Studielink form, please note:
- You have to select Erasmus University Rotterdam, MA in Development Studies
- The official name of The Hague is ‘s-Gravenhage and this is how it is listed in Studielink. Please select ‘s-Gravenhage.
- You are asked to give a first name. If you don’t have a first name enter the data as shown on your proof of identity. If, for example, you have more than one name and these are not seen as official first name and surname, then you enter these names as your surname. Enter a full stop (dot) (.) for your official first name.
- Under Given Name fill in the name you are generally addressed with.
- Check the exact starting date of the academic year on the ISS website. Studielink and the EUR admission portal will use the dates of the official Dutch academic year: 1 September – 31 August next year.
- The address provided in Studielink is exported to our own registration system. If your personal or contact details (email address, home address etc.) should change please make sure to adjust them in Studielink.
After completing your application in Studielink you will receive several emails. With the following two emails you can continue your application in the EUR admission portal:
- Check your email for the link to the EUR ADMISSION PORTAL
- Check your email for login details (ERNA account and password)
Please be aware that automatically generated emails may end up in your spam or junk folder. Please check these folders!
STEP 2: Finalize your application in the EUR Admission Portal
You need to finish your application request in the EUR Admission Portal. In this Portal you are invited to finalize your application by uploading the required documents and answering some additional questions. Fill in the Major you are applying for, your previous education (universities only) and your work experience, and upload the required documents
Once you have done this, you must click "SUBMIT" at the bottom of the page.
You can start working in the Portal, save your entries and use your login information to return to the Portal later.
Submit the required documents:
- Copy of Academic Degree(s) / Diploma(s)
- Certified Copy of Academic Transcript(s)
Note: If the language of these documents is not English, original certified English translations must be attached.
- Motivation Statement (maximum two A4 in which you indicate the relevance of the proposed study programme for your work and your motivation for attending the proposed programme)
- Three (3) Reference forms and/or reference letters - download the MA reference form
- Statement of Proficiency in English (if applicable)
The reference forms and English test result can be sent separately but please note that your application will only be considered after we have received all required documents. If your referee prefers to send his/her form personally, it is possible to do that by email to student.office@ iss.nl
Once you have submitted your application, the ISS admission office will check whether it is complete. You will receive an email if additional information is needed and will be informed once your application is complete and has been forwarded to the admission board.
After you have submitted your application
Once you have submitted your application, you will not be contacted again until your application has been assessed to determine your eligibility for the programme. The Admissions Board will carefully reviews each individual file for admission. You will be contacted as soon as the outcome of the assessment is known.
Please note that this might take up to FOUR weeks starting from the moment that your application is deemed complete.
We advise you to read the information related to the admission and enrolment procedures very carefully.
If you have any questions about the application procedure or encounter any difficulties, visit our MA application FAQ page. You should find the answers to most of your questions there. If not, you can contact the ISS Admissions Office by sending an email to student.office@. iss.nl