In this landmark case, Ismail Ziada, a Palestinian who is a Dutch national living in The Netherlands, is bringing a civil suit before the District Court of The Hague (The Netherlands) against two Israeli former military officers for the deliberate bombing of the home of his family in the Gaza Strip in July 2014.
The hearing will take place on 23 September 2021. Preceding this, the International Institute of Social Studies (ISS) is hosting an online panel discussion.
- Issam Younis, Director, Al-Mezan Center for Human Rights, from Gaza
- Cedric Ryngaert, Professor of Public International Law and Head of the Department of International and European Law at Utrecht University
- Jeff Handmaker, Associate Professor in Legal Sociology at the International Institute of Social Studies of Erasmus University Rotterdam and Member of International Lawyers (intlawyers.org)
- Kate Clark, Head of Research, Nuhanovic Foundation and PhD candidate at the University of Amsterdam
- Liesbeth Zegveld (TBC), Mr. Ziada’s lawyer and Professor of Public International Law at the University of Amsterdam
Frederiek de Vlaming, Director, The Nuhanovic Foundation
Topics of Discussion
- Decision of the District Court of The Hague of the 29th January 2020
- Grounds of appeal
- Access to justice for Palestinians in general and Mr. Ziada in particular
- Functional immunity from jurisdiction under international law
- Q&A session