- PhD student
- Friday 4 Feb 2022, 16:00 - 18:00
- PhD defence
- Spoken Language
- Aula B and livestream
- International Institute of Social Studies
- Ticket information
A limited number of people may attend this defence in-person.
If you would like to attend in-person, please register by completing the registration form at the bottom of this page.
The defence can also be followed LIVE via ISS livestream (see 'Watch the defence live' below)
On 4 February 2022, Sergio Coronado will defend his thesis on 'Peasants, Protests and Litigation: Struggles over land and institutions in Colombia'
His thesis examines the historical trajectories and the current implications of changes in allocation of property rights over public lands in Colombia.
He asks how and to what extent peasant agency impacts agrarian institutions and what are its implications on disputes over land and resource grabbing in the 21st century? He demonstrates that the outcomes of the recent legal debates about the rules for allocation of property rights over public lands hinge upon the historical trajectories of peasant mobilization in Colombia, particularly as observed through the interaction between social and state actors.
Download the abstracts
Doctoral dissertation supervisors
Professor Jun Borras, ISS
Professor Kristina Dietz, University of Kassel
Members of the Full Doctoral Committee
- Dr Diana Ojeda, University of the Andes
- Professor Emerita Joanne Rappaport, Georgetown University
- Professor Christian Lund, University of Copenhagen
- Professor Helena Alviar García, Sciences Po Law School
- Professor Jacobo Grajales, University of Lille
- Dr Kees Biekart, ISS