ISS webinar on Covid-19
On Thursday 25 June 2020 the International Institute of Social Studies organized a webinar entitled 'Pandemic, poverty and power: Perspectives on in/exclusivity in cities'
Both academics and practitioners discussed the importance of including marginalized groups in cities in this time of the pandemic, focusing on good examples of ‘solutions’ and the importance of community / volunteer groups, i.e. people reaching out to each other.
The speakers were Thea Hilhorst (ISS), Naomi van Stapele (ISS), Jaffer Najar (ISS), Joseph Kimani (Slum/Shack Dwellers International - Kenya) and Mausumi Chetia (ISS) and the moderator was Lynn Zebeda.
Kenyan artist, Alexander Ikawah, also contributed with two powerful videos, strongly demonstrating the combination of academic work and art.
The webinar was well attended with over 115 attendees.
The programme was as follows:
- Introduction by Lynn Zebeda and welcome by the Rector of ISS, Professor Inge Hutter
- Column by Professor Thea Hilhorst
- Panel discussion with Mausumi Chetia, Joseph Kimani, Jaffer Najar, and Naomi van Stapele
- Q&A with the audience
- Artistic interlude by Alexander Ikawah
- Reflections by Naomi van Stapele