I am currently a Ph.D researcher at the International Institute of Social Studies (ISS-Erasmus University Rotterdam) working on the contributions of feminism(s) to humanitarian governance, with an emphasis on the potential of collective action and humanitarian advocacy. In this research, Colombia is my case study, due to the rich tradition of social mobilization, activism and advocacy and where humanitarian crises, armed conflict and peacebuilding initiatives converge. My aim is to further understand how humanitarian action can be done differently by incorporating feminist approaches, whereby aspects like power, politics, ethics, and the role of crisis affected populations are interrogated.
My professional background is in International Relations with a multidisciplinary approach. Hence, I have developed my experience in the fields of Political Analysis, Conflict and Human rights with a focus on Latin America.
Over ten-years of combined professional experience in the public and non-profit sectors, both in my country of origin, Ecuador, and my second home, Colombia has provided me with a set of skills and practical knowledge, which is a key asset to develop my research.
International Institute of Social Studies
- Kortenaerkade 12, 's - Gravenhage
- Rodrigo Mena, Juan Ricardo Aparicio & Gabriela Villacis Izquierdo (2022) - Humanitarian action in Latin America: Same but different? - [link]
- Gabriela Villacis Izquierdo, Delu Lusambya & Tewodros Bayu (2022) - North-South* research collaborations: the quest for equitable partnerships - [link]
- GV (Gabriela) Villacis Izquierdo (2014) - Why Do Americans Care?: The New York Times and the Coverage of the Media Campaign “Bring Back Our Girls” - [link]
- Zhiqi Xu, Ahmed Elassal, Francesco Colin, Gabriela Villacis Izquierdo, Petronilla Wandeto & Chitrakshi Vashisht (2022) - 18th Development Dialogue Conference
- Gabriela Villacis Izquierdo, Delu Lusambya Mwenebyake, Tewodros Bayu, Rodrigo Mena Fluhmann & Thea Hilhorst (2021) - Round Table: Towards equitable research collaborations