Housing for MA students
The International Institute of Social Studies offers housing to MA students for the first 12 months of their programme.
ISS has accommodation in four different areas in The Hague, all of which are within cycling or walking distance to and from ISS.
When available, rooms can also be offered to visiting researchers and other visitors.
The residences Dorus Rijkersplein and Bazarlaan are serviced and contracted by DUWO (Dutch student housing corporation). The other two residences, Buitenom and Gondelstraat, are temporarily serviced by ISS itself.
Living together with your fellow students provides an excellent opportunity to get to know each other well and to build solid, often lifelong, friendships. Moreover, it enhances the overall academic community and enables you to immediately focus on your studies without having to worry about housing.
MA students - The tenancy agreement ends in the last week of August of the following year. Extension of the agreement is only possible on the basis of availability. ISS will inform you in a timely manner when to apply for an extension and under which conditions.
Some scholarship programmes include guaranteed housing for the entire study period: Students with a NFP or Stuned scholarship get a tenancy agreement for one of the dorms for the full duration of the programme.
PhD researchers - If accommodation is available, the rental period for PhD researchers, visiting researchers and other visitors can start at any time throughout the academic year. It has also a fixed start and end date, but with the possibility of extension on basis of availability.
Cancellation of tenancy agreement
All dorms are available on a fixed-term tenancy only, meaning that the tenancy agreement cannot be terminated prematurely.
For MA students: Cancellation of the tenancy agreement is only possible in the event of the premature cancellation of the programme and with permission of the ISS Institute Director.
For PhD researchers: Cancellation of the tenancy agreement is only possible in the event the researcher has to leave the Netherlands for research related purposes and with permission of the ISS Institute Director.
- Students can apply for housing for the first 12 months of the study period during which classes take place.
- Students with NFP/OKP or Stuned scholarship get a tenancy agreement for the ISS residences for the full duration of the programme.
- The dorms are available on a fixed-term tenancy only.
- Double rooms are reserved for couples: a student with spouse, it is not possible for two ISS students to rent a double room.
- Rental fees are calculated by Dutch governmental point system ("Huurprijscheck onzelfstandige woonruimte") and in line with common practice for furnished rooms in the Netherlands.
- Children are not allowed in ISS housing.