Global Development and Social Justice Research programme
As a leader in the field of development studies, the International Institute of Social Studies (ISS) finds responses to today’s global problems. Issues such as poverty, inequality, migration, conflict and ecology are important in the ISS research agenda.
Our Global Development and Social Justice research programme takes a critical approach to policy responses that are formulated to social, economic and political issues. The critical attitude is the result of a deeply felt need to analyse the way in which power differences among groups of people result in policies and practices that are highly beneficial to the powerful and detrimental to the powerless.
8 December - PhD defence by Yanbai Li
Essays on institutions, inequality and the resource curse
Our eye on COP28
Our community at the 28th UN Climate Change Conference
12 December - PhD defence by Daniela Andrade
'Export or die': Agriculture, capital accumulation and class struggle in Brazil
ISS is committed to a more just social order at a global scale. We combine rigorous academic research with high societal relevance that has the potential to drive action and contribute to change:
- Critical - we use a critical approach and analyze how power relations have produced policies and practices that are highly beneficial to the powerful and detrimental to the powerless
- Participatory - we produce knowledge with stakeholders, rather than only for them and seek to produce knowledge in ways that engage those most affected
- Societally relevant - we work in partnership with others, including NGOs, social movements, and other local, national and global networks and benchmark our research with the needs of society
- Embracing the global North and South - we expect research findings from both areas to inform one another
- Bridging theory and practice - we aim to take our knowledge out into wider world in different ways
- Linking with teaching - we seek to bring the research we undertake into the classroom to inform, challenge and inspire our students