Crisis of Democracy, Crisis of Democracy Promotion
- Start date
Tuesday, 21 May 2019, 16:15
- End date
Tuesday, 21 May 2019, 17:45
- Aula B
- International Institute of Social Studies
On 21 May 2019, seven panelists from different universities will meet and conduct a round table at the International Institute of Social Studies. This round table will be on the topic of 'Crisis of Democracy, Crisis of Democracy Promotion'.
In these times of crisis for democracy, democracy promotion is also, analysts argue, on the wane. How does this "fall from grace" of the democracy promotion agenda manifest itself? What are the causes? And the likely consequences? Should we care? This round table proposes a discussion of various aspects of democracy promotion with a specific focus on the southern borderlands of Europe and on the actors most present there - the EU, European states and international institutions.
- Assem Dandashly, University of Maastricht
- Anna Khakee, University of Malta
- Beste Isleyen, University of Amsterdam
- Karolina Pomorska, Leiden University
- Ragnar Weilandt, University of Warwick
- Sarah Wolff, Queen Mary University of London
- Sylvia Bergh, ISS