- Thursday 22 Jun 2023, 09:30 - 17:30
- Spoken Language
- International Institute of Social Studies
- Ticket information
If you wish to attend this event, please register by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This workshop is organized by University of Groningen in partnership with Conflict and Peace Studies scholars at the International Institute of Social Studies (ISS), Erasmus University Rotterdam. It is part of Dr David Van der Linden's NWO VIDI project, ‘Building Peace’.
About the workshop
The United Nations advocate transitional justice, which aims to address wartime grievances and promote reconciliation through strategies such as prosecution, reparations, amnesty, lustration, truth and reconciliation commissions and communal commemoration. Because transitional justice scholarship focuses primarily on recent conflicts, however, it remains difficult to the evaluate the long-term effectiveness of such measures.
The workshop will focus on the following questions:
- How can societies achieve a lasting peace in the wake of civil war?
- Does transitional justice bring peace and reconciliation?
- And will future generations uphold the peace mechanisms designed by the wartime generation?
We welcome students, staff and other interested parties.