- PhD student
- Tuesday 8 Feb 2022, 15:00 - 17:00
- PhD defence
- Spoken Language
- Aula B and livestream
- International Institute of Social Studies
- Ticket information
A limited number of people may attend this defence in-person. If you would like to attend in-person, please register by completing the registration form at the bottom of this page.
NB - face coverings must be worn at all times during the defence, even when seated
On 8 February 2022, Zahra Zarepour will defend her thesis on 'Cash instead of Subsidy: Essays on the impact of the 2010 Iranian energy subsidy reform'
In a series of essays, Zahra Zarepour examines the impact of the 2010 Iranian energy subsidy removal and cash transfer (SRCT) on the country’s macro and micro-economy. The thesis provides a comprehensive inquiry on the impact of the 2010 energy subsidy reform on the macro as well as the micro-economy of Iran highlighting not only the effects of the reform on the economy but also the empirical challenges faced when assessing a universal reform.
- Essay 1 examines the short- and long run impact of SRCT on macro indicators
- Essay 2 examines the impact of SRCT on households’ welfare
- Essay 3 focuses on the impact of SRCT on manufacturing firms
- Essay 4 compares the emission of air pollutants and CO2 by manufacturing firms before and after the introduction of the energy subsidy reform
- Essay 5 provides a critique of existing country energy classifications
Watch Zahra's defence live
Download the abstracts
Doctoral dissertation supervisors
Professor Arjun Bedi, ISS
Dr Natascha Wagner
Members of the Full Doctoral Committee
Professor Djavad Salehi-Isfahani, Virgina Tech University
Professor Michéle Breton, Université de Montréal
Dr Zahra Adel Barkhordar, Shahid Beheshti University
Professor Massoud Karshenas, SOAS University of London
Dr Elissaios Papyrakis, ISS
Register to attend the defence in person
Registration closes at midday on 8 February.